Peace of Mind When You Need It Most
Equestrian Life is an online community for horse people.
We bring together horse people across all disciplines, breeds and sports.
We invite you to connect with others who love horses as much as you do.
HEATING SYSTEMS MAINTENANCE
1. Wood burning stoves and flues should be professionally installed and cleaned annually. Chimneys and flues should be replaced as needed. All should meet code requirements.
2. Regular heating system in home should be cleaned and checked by a professional every year. Any problems or failure of the system should be given immediate attention.
3. Portable heaters should be used only as a temporary source of heat and checked for proper maintenance. Portable heaters should not be used in barns near animals or combustibles, and should be vented properly. Older models should not be used. Newer brand name versions with instruction manuals are recommended. Instructions should be kept in an easily accessible place. Never use "homemade" heaters.
4. Woodstoves should be checked for creosote build up and cleaned annually.
5. All combustibles should have at least 36 inch clearance from stoves and portable heaters.
6. Confirm any professional contractor you use has proper insurance coverage before using them.